Monday 11 December 2006

Pollen's 2006 lists - #1

This time of the year I usually catch up on all the stuff I missed by trawling the net for other people's best-of lists. Before I do that and get all confused, I will start my own here, in the hope that my co-bloggers/ -horts will follow suit. It's not yet the definitive list, and as I remember things I will add them. Let's start off with 2007:

Most unfortunate disappointment:
The new Grinderman album, to be released in March '07. I was very excited, but it wasn't to be. I've heard it and it has patches of promise, but it is not overall good.

Best releases of 2006:
  • Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
  • Carla Bozulich - Evangelista
  • Current 93 - Black Ships Ate The Sky
  • DeVotchKa - Curse Your Little Heart
  • Kokeshi Doll - Tantalus Rhythm
  • M. Ward - Post-War
  • Mono - You Are There
  • This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain
  • Tom Waits - Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards
  • Woven Hand - Mosaic
  • Xiu Xiu - The Air Force
Disappointing release of the year:
  • Asobi Seksu - Citrus
Movies I enjoyed most:
I can unfortunately not give an authoritative view of 2006 releases as I missed a helluva lot of movies and watch a lot of stuff on DVD. This is more of a list of movies I watched in 2006 and liked:
  • Children of Men - those perfectly crafted, endless shots, the intelligence and the hyper-reality while stuck with a great anti-hero made this a winner.
  • Everything is Illuminated - I admit being biased because I watched it partly for Eugene Hutz as Alex (who was excellent), but it's a good watch.
  • The Proposition - Nick Cave's script was fresh because you could sense this was his first time and he wasn't constrained by the typical movie-making-by-numbers crap out there. I only realised how violent this was when I watched it for a second time. Excellent performances from all.
  • Tom-Yum-Goong - my DVD version doesn't have English subtitles and it doesn't matter - it's that kind of movie. For great fighting sequences and stunts, this was pure pleasure. Honourable mention should also go to Banlieue 13 and Fearless in this category.
  • Bin-Yip (3-Iron) - this was good enough to buy on DVD. The lack of dialogue works great. Best of the three Kim Ki-duk movies I saw (also Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring and Samaria).
  • Samehada otoko to momojiri onna (Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl) - an old (1998) movie, the inane and surreal conversations among the different yakuza members in various stages of waiting makes it very funny.
  • Sennen joyu (Millenium Actress) - I don't know why I waited so long to watch this. The scenes are beautifully constructed and animated.
Hmmm.... I need to think some more... this can't be all. And then there are still books to come...

1 comment:

  1. Pollen is in Cape Town. Cerebus is in Xi'an. Krizz is in Stellenbosch. Thespian is in Johannesburg.

    That is all fine.

    But where is Waldo

    ReplyDelete